The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced that smartphone users will be able to use their credit cards to make UPI payments. Special features have been announced for the RuPay credit cards. This means that if you have a RuPay credit card then you will be able to make UPI payments.
However, it completely depends on UPI platforms like Google Pay, and PhonePe to enable the option and allow you to make payments using your RuPay-based credit card. Google Pay is currently one of the most used UPI platforms in the country.
RBI said that UPI payment through credit cards will be hassle-free like a debit card. All you need to do is link your credit card with the UPI payments platform. But the new rule has come with a catch.
At present, you will be allowed to pay only electricity, gas, and other bills and recharge your mobile numbers. This means that you will not be able to send or receive money with your credit card or pay at the nearest grocery store using Google Pay.
Follow the step-by-step process to recharge your phone number, and pay bills through Google Pay using a credit card:
How to Link Credit Card to Google Pay
- Update Google Pay and open it on your phone. The app is available for iOS as well as Android users.
- After opening Google Pay, you have to tap on the profile icon appearing in the top right corner.
- Click on the Next Bank Account option.
- Then select the option “Add Credit and Debit Card“.
- There are several ways in which you can link your credit card through Google Pay. You can either scan the credit card or prefer to use the manual process of entering the details.
- Then you have to enter your billing address and mobile number for verification.
- After the process is completed, you will be able to make payment through a credit card on Google Pay.